Monday, February 28, 2011

Paint With All The Colors!

For this assignment in Drawing Studio, I had to choose a 10x10 piece of fabric that had blocks of solid color in it. I had to trace this fabric onto graphite paper to get the exact replica of the design. Once that was done, I had to divide the design into 5 sections (from left to right); desaturated, original fabric strip, opposite value, actual fabric colors, and compliment. I started with the actual fabric painting to get a feel for the original colors in the fabric. I tried my best to get the original colors but it was a challenge since the paint drys darker then what I originally made. Since the acrylic drys extremely fast, I did the compliment section next. The fabric I chose made this section simple because the fabric is filled with complimentary colors. After that, I worked on opposite value. While working on this section I became extremely confused. All the colors were hard to distinguish between. Then to make it even more confusing, I had to make every color desaturated in the next section. You can make a color desaturated by adding its compliment color and then white. This became really challenging because most of the colors in this section are so alike. De-saturating yellow was impossible for me! But once I got to class, My teacher explained to me that yellow and purple are the hardest to de-saturate because they have such a high contrast of one another. After that section, I then had to cut out the original piece of fabric and glue it down. Altogether this was a relaxing painting to work on because it required all my focusing on one color at a time. Painting isn't so scary after all.

Thursday, February 24, 2011


For the past 3 1/2 weeks in Space Studio, my five group members and I had to build a childhood toy. We chose a the toy troll we all used to play with when we were kids. We all had a story of what we used to do with them. I remember hiding underneath the piano with a hot pink haired troll and some scissors, ready to cut the hair off. Another girl in my group actually took the head off the troll and put it on a duck stuffed animal. I told her she was like Sid in Toy Story. To start with the project we had to make measurements to figure out the scale we wanted for the troll. It had to be mainly constructed out of cardboard and about 12 feet tall. My group and I started right away on the skeleton of the troll. It took a lot of experimenting to get the roundness of the butt and stomach. Once we got the form done, we layered the whole body in paper mache. For the hair we had a one long rod in the middle with cardboard and bristol board surrounding it. Then we painted! Got it finished in a week in a half! ....or soo we thought......
We were told to add more to the hair! The hair had to be more wavy and look like it had individual strands and values. Then we had to add a shiny jewel and eyes. Two weeks later we finished!

We are trying to figure out where we will put it because we can't leave it DAAP forever.. Any Ideas?!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Time to Paint!

In drawing class, we began to work with acrylic Liquitex paint. We had to choose a Japanese print and try to create the exact colors in the picture. I chose the work by Harunobu, Girl on Night Pilgramage from the book Master of the Japanese Print.
This acrylic paint drys extremely fast so you have to work quickly. I know I didn't reach the exact color but I am still experimenting! Once we made the closest color to the original, we had to make a scale with the same proportions that the print has. Then make a proportional abstract painting.
Mixing the colors was very relaxing! I am excited to paint again in drawing class!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Let's Finish Up With Nupastels!

This is the last drawing we did before we had a critique over the past Nupastel still lifes we had done. I had to buy five different colors of paper, make a collage out of them, and then draw it. This final assignment helps show the teacher how much I have learned in creating value with the Nupastels. Here ya go...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Practicing Fabric and Glass

Here is my Sketchbook assignment from last week. We are starting to learn how to draw glass, objects inside glass, and their reflections.

I am continuing to work with fabric and colored glass objects in my drawing class. I realized I am better drawing fabric with patterns or textures in them. It is easier to get all the distinct values when you have patterns to follow. I can't just ignore the regular fabric so I'm going to continue to practice. In the specific piece there were reflections from the fabric onto the glass. That was also easier to work with then just putting in blurred reflections in the glass.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

No Blending!

I am trying to turn away from always blending in colors on my still lifes. I was only allowed two minutes of blending time. For the rest of the piece, I had to find every individual color to make it look like I did blend the picture. I am trying to conquer the different textures by not blending all the time. Maybe the fabric needs to be blended in but the rubber duck might not need blending. All it takes is more experimenting with the pastels!